Monday, September 26, 2016

New Blog about traveling with Pets - introductions.

Traveling with your dogs is a lot of fun, but it can also be rather stressful. There are a lot of things you have to consider when you get on the road with your furry friends. A lot of places do not allow you to bring your dogs, like restaurants, or hotels. There are even hiking trails that you are not allowed to take your dog on.

I know traveling with pets takes a lot of preparation and research. My husband and I have been traveling with our two dogs, Heidi and Jaeger; and our cat, Chloe, for several years. It is what we love to do. During these times I have learned a lot about preparing and researching pet-friendly places. In my articles, books and blogs, I write about traveling with pets.

My husband, Jim, is a Dog Trainer and Behaviorist, he helps me bring in the knowledge of dog training and behavior modification for my writing. Together, we hope to provide practical tips and exercises to prepare you and your pets for travel. We also find the best pet-friendly places to stay, play and eat.



We are currently working on a book for traveling with dogs. It's called: "Keep your Paws on the Road" -  while the book is still a work in progress, I thought it would be fun to share some of the information, together with a lot of other helpful tips in my blog.

When Jim and I first started taking vacations with our dogs, I ran into a lot of obstacles finding places that would allow us to bring our 95lbs Chesapeake Bay Retriever. I soon learned that  even dog-friendly hotels or vacation rentals will have restrictions on the size of pets they allow.  Many will restrict pets to be under 80 pounds, while some will only allow smaller dogs.



Way back when, we traveled with our sweet little Doberman, Blitz, I had similar difficulties because of breed restrictions. So one of the first tips here is to actually call and verify information for any dog-friendly restaurant, campground or overnight establishment. Make sure you are getting all the information before you travel. I have seen people get turned away at campgrounds because they had a breed that was not accepted by that establishment. I am sure you can imagine how frustrated these travelers were. They had simply assumed, since the campground advertised dog-friendly, that there were no restrictions on breed or size.

Quite often there are also restrictions regarding the number of pets you can bring. In general two pets are allowed in most overnight accommodations. That can be tricky, if like us, you travel with 3 or more pets.

So if you are loving to travel or vacation with your dogs or other pets, come and visit my blog site and read about keeping your paws on the road.

I hope you find the blog interesting, I value your comments and insights.

Thank you,
Bee


No comments:

Post a Comment